Tuesday 21 August 2018

just me


Just me
I was born in the early part of nineteen sixty three,
And to this day I live in total amazement,
How? did I make it to this age and still be me?
It’s nothing short of a miracle, heaven sent,

I survived teething, on a led painted cot,
Landing on my head, when I climbed out of bed,
Didn’t starve, from all those things I had not,
Informed to firmly, keep my tongue, inside my head,

Learned early on that drugs, would keep me out of control,
Stayed there for a while until I discovered booze,
Discovered you had to over eighteen, to drink, so I stole,
Seemed easier, as I was out of it, and didn’t have to choose,

Thought anyone over twenty was really old,
Until I reached twenty and I changed it to thirty,
No way was there a single thing I could be told,
Thirty soon became forty,

Passed the millennium, everyone said the world would end?
Couldn’t believe it when I awoke with a hangover,
Self-infliction and a few pints would soon have me on the mend,
Had a purpose in life and nothing seemed to be a bother?

Worried about everything that I, couldn’t control.
Controlled all I could and still worried,
Became a family, a unit, felt whole,
Still worked, hassled, harried and hurried,

Made it through the 60’s, 70’s, 80s’, 90’s and the rest,
I look around me, I see people young and without a clue,
Of what it is to be put to the test,
Things the younger generation will say, they never knew,

For all must be handed to them on a silver platter,
They cannot learn a skill set that we older ones acquired,
How or where it comes from doesn’t seem to matter,
In order to live, you must cope and survive it’s required,

Thank heaven I was born in nineteen sixty three,
I’ve gotten this far and I’m glad, I turned into just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers