Tuesday 4 August 2015

leaving


Leaving

 

I used up the last of your butter today,

Well, we were reared never to waste,

You were leaving; there was little to say,

I watched you head off in haste,

 

Leaving behind, broken ideas, of what should have been,

Your life packed, into one large suitcase,

That in itself was a sight to be seen,

Another life, rather than the old one face,

 

Take whatever is left you said,

You have no use for any of it now,

Family ties, barely existing, better life ahead,

Not enough effort made, by all somehow,

 

I used that tin opener, it was a treat,

I felt a bit used, but in a nice way,

Being useful is better than living defeat,

The suitcase filled with remorse, on your leaving day,

 

All the what if’s and, we could have’s, remain,

In a house that was, just a place to be,

Most from visiting, had long since refrained,

Leaving, knowing those you would never again see,

 

On the morning you were due to fly out,

I thought you might have had a few calls,

Someone to give you a wave and a shout,

There was only me, who’d picked you up from a few falls,

 

I tried to make it as easy as I could,

But we all, could have tried a little more,

Too many egos, not doing what they should,

Leaving means, we won’t see each other anymore,

 

Good or bad, as on this life, you pull those shutters,

Rest assured, you were reared well and true,

As I said, no waste, I used up the last of your butter,

A lifetime of memories, I saw leaving with you,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers