Sunday 22 March 2015

ah the auld armchair


I Inherited the chair

 

 

I always thought you were right, when I was a child,

After all, your word was law, it was final,

Sat in your chair, watching the sports, on T.V. as you did,

As I sat on the floor watching you, beguiled,

For years I gazed trying to figure out your denial,

Lost in the sports channel, in a world where you hid,

 

It was you and you’re chair and the sports, dare anyone intrude,

Silently taking in scores and positions,

Who played well, who was a disaster on the day,

Just a glare to see who it was being noisey and rude,

You disagreeing with some referee’s decision,

Yet a shout when something seemed to go your way,

 

I grew up watching you take part from your chair,

As if you were on the field of play,

Watched you decide, how to turn your team into winners,

Heard you tell anyone who’d listen, “it has to be fair”,

When you lost that there would be another better day,

And here I was just a watcher a beginner,

 

You’re gone now; there is no sports channel on my T.V.

No one to shout who or why some play was wrong or right,

I sit and watch my son, as he watches me, lost in thought,

I recall it was I watched you as you decided to teach me,

When something was wrong, if I could, I should stand and fight,

There were no rules for being an adult, my chair new bought,

 

I wonder if he will look as much at his son,

While he studies the way things will turn out,

Like my father before me sorting his little team,

As I look back I recall that it was for me so much fun,

I jumped each time my father let go with a shout,

With delight and sadness, I sit back in his chair and dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers