Thursday 3 November 2011

new poems

smiling through the ages with these two hope they go down well ha ha`

Waxing political.


Some of us could see it coming from the very first day,

Sinn Fein joining the race and their course would not stray,

Sean Gallaher waxing lyrical on his political stage,

Reading his lines pre written on every page,

Off to the side was Dana shouting I am not here for the church,

But god bless you all for caring this much,

While gay Mitchell stood in at his parties’ behest,

No way would he win this popularity contest,

By saying yes to the Lisbon treaty Mary Davis asked us to vote,

No wonder she failed that was left down the river to float,

And what of David Norris just running for cover,

Asking us all to believe he stood just up for his lover?

Yet few watched martin McGuiness put in as a token?

Softly he went his agenda quietly spoken,

Having been asked to explain all manner of things,

About the past and what his Sinn Fein party would bring,

Nothing he said I will represent all the land,

I will give each and everyone a good helping hand,

Still up his sleeve was a secret which wasn’t so nice,

And the front runner at the time was going to pay a high price,

Having been branded a bag man for the fianna fail party,

Poor Sean fell flat he had lost all his clarity,

Wisdom and experience sat by in the wings,

The people’s choice in the end Michael D Higgins,

I wonder will anyone really look at this race,

And see how it really was who fell flat on their face,

And who did a favour to whom and just why,

Making Sean lose and run home to cry,

This election was such a huge success,

The winners coming first and third best,

And to anyone who thinks it was about the country as a whole,

Some of these candidates had a very different goal,

Their aim for the prize was never sighted true or fair,

But all said and done the right man got in there,

A gentleman of many years with new beginnings,

From the west our very own Michael D Higgins,

Please god he will last the next seven years,

As his popularity leaves his fellow runners in tears,

Having run but not by the parties behest,

We are thankful that with Michael D we are blessed.

01.11.2011




Barred from gods house


I was a very good catholic mass attendee,

After all it was stories on a Sunday for free,

Or so I thought until the end of each tale,

When a basket appeared each week without fail,

And into this basket what money you had,

And your man at the alter was telling you he’s glad,

God will be pleased to know that we care,

And if you have any more cash will you put it in there,

So I figured it out that if you stood at the alter,

And you could tell stories and you didn’t falter,

A basket was sent round the pews in the church,

And if the story was good god knows how much,

Money was left in the pile up in front,

Where your man regaled us each week by the font,

So I practiced my reading and how I’d tell my tale,

And I went up in front my audience to regale,

And when it was told I stayed back waiting in church,

My story was good I wanted to see if it was worth much,

And what do you want your man said to me,

I want my share of the money in the basket like ye,

As there they sat the collectors counting the stash,

I wanted my share I only read for the cash,

I heard them all saying who gave more or gave less,

And your man put me in to this box to confess,

But I wouldn’t budge and he couldn’t explain,

This was church money and there it would remain,

Get out you pup before I put my boot up your arse,

For trying to make my sermon look like a farce,

Fine I replied and on my walk home I’ll tell all,

Who gave what and who didn’t pay anything at all,

And told them I did on my way home that very day,

I knocked on their doors telling them what your man had to say,

Who he was pleased with and who paid all they could,

And how I was paid nothing and wasn’t my story just as good,

Next week at mass there he was at the door,

Your barred he said you’re not welcome here any more,

So at nine I was barred and he wished me nothing well,

But he did tell my parents I’d be going straight to hell,

Who cares I said but going on your form,

At least I’d be welcome and for sure I’d be warm.

31.10.2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers