Thursday 19 January 2012

oh miriam

wrote this after meeting miriam o callaghan in bulgaden castle in aid of the cliona ring foundation because i had to stand in for a friend who will never live it down oh miriam and i are the bestest of friends now hahahaha launch of poetic humour by limerick poets
Oh Miriam,,,,


Oh dear, he’s never going to live this one down,

From now on when he looks at me he’s going to frown,

He took his ould head to Dublin on a Saturday night,

An unavoidable trip with sorrow in sight,

But he called and asked me to stand in his place,

So that he could concentrate and not lose face,

Well it was to Dublin with him and to Bulgadan with me,

And as I sat in his place no beer drank by me,

Do not make a show of me in front of my friends,

Or you and me will fight there will be no making amends,

I’m warning you now his last word on the phone,

I just sat there laughing as on and on he droned,

Sure I wasn’t hearing what it is that he said,

I had a few lines forming inside my own head,

Miriam o Callaghan was to be the guest for the night,

She arrived looking beautiful and oh what a sight,

Her children were there both a daughter and son,

But everyone’s eyes were firmly fixed on their mom,

With the formalities over and presentation’s to be made,

Tom Tierney called me to meet this fine maid,

Here is a book of poetic humour, from limerick poets all,

On behalf of this charity we hope you to enthral,

Then she did no more then I had expected her to do,

She whispered in my ear, oh Christy thank you,

Your welcome I said as I stood there, all shiny and sleek,

Sure she couldn’t resist it she kissed my ould cheek,

I thought of a poem I wrote, of a mirror on my bedroom wall,

Get a hold of yourself woman for me you can’t fall,

For this gorgeous man you will never be able,

Besides my missus is sat right there at the table,

Control your emotions there is nothing you can do,

But if you’re really stuck I can recommend my pal john Carew,

Bu wait he aint here he was rushed out of town,

And you heard I was his stand in so you hurried on down,

Who in this life knows what the future will bring,

Families supporting poets, supporting the foundation for Cliona Ring.

After a good night in Bulgadan 16 Jan. 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers